Quote:
...if you don't accept that Dr. Ventnor has done that yet, the question will become academic soon. The more our knowledge of the physical world advances, the more we realize that things we used to think of as magic are simply the operation of natural law.

I agree that it will become academic one day but Venter has NOT done it yet. Your reference is from 2007 and in 2009 people are still only TALKING about it. It will take way longer, especially for cells that are more advanced than the bacterial ones. The caveat not that visible for the general public is that we can recreate a lot of biochemical reactions in a test tube but the cell is an autoregulatory and self-procreating machine, which is for now way beyond our abilities. I am also looking forward to seeing something like this happening in my lifetime, but suspect it would take a long time.
P.S. My old mentor always cautioned me about following scientific advances in the mass media. He is a cancer researcher and used to say "If we believe everything that is written in the newspapers about cancer treatment, I fail to understand why this disease is still around".

Last edited by macnerd10; 09/17/09 08:03 PM.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN