Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally Posted By: artie505
I think the priority at the moment, with which I agree, is ensuring that Trump doesn't win the candidacy before the convention.

If no one has the candidacy going into the convention, does it leave the field open for an entirely new candidate? If so, that could make things really interesting.

Excellent question, and a real possibility. Even if Rubio wins Florida, it still looks like a 2 man race, Trump and Cruz.

Interestingly, even if Trump (or any candidate) "secures" the necessary 1,237 delegates before the convention starts, it seems there are ways the first ballot could become "aborted":

http://lawnewz.com/important/how-the-gop...y-of-delegates/

If something like that were to happen, I think the Republican Party will then be devastated, as all those Trump supporters would be definitely pissed, and thus a vast majority of them would not vote for the eventual Republican nominee. In fact, such a process basically is selecting a "minority" candidate. I also suspect that if such back door sleazyness occurs, Trump will definitely feel disrespected (and rightly so), and would 1) run as an independent, and 2( of course not support that "minority" candidate.

In instead he does not have the necessary 1,237 delegates by the time the convention begins, then it could be a "rat" race as to who gets nominated. The logical choice would be Kasich (based on what I said above in my prior post), but given he has not secured many delegates (and I suspect, not many more by the time the convention begins), it is doubtful that he would be the nominee.

Last edited by honestone; 03/06/16 11:13 PM.