Originally Posted By: joemikeb
It is not how many voters does a candidate appeal to, rather how many voters has the candidate NOT offended.

I watched a TV blurb this morning from a rally that Trump held following the debates last night. It seems clear to me that, if nothing else, this guy knows about picking buttons and how to push them.

He referred to the fact that Carrier is moving their production to Mexico which will put 1,400 Americans out of work. His response essentially (I can't quote exactly) was that, as President, he would call the CEO of Carrier to say he hopes that Carrier enjoys their new plant in Mexico. However, every air conditioner they send into the U.S. will be met with a 35% tax.

For any American who has had their job shipped to another country, that is an appealing big button. Further, the idea is black and white, none of the grayish nuance that seasoned politicians prefer.

It seems to me that Trump (and I'd add, Bernie Sanders) have tapped into something percolating in the American electorate - the same old, same old has to go. Meanwhile the political elite has yet to wake up.

Last edited by ryck; 03/04/16 02:20 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C