Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally Posted By: grelber
JFK bullied Diefenbaker — and I've never forgiven The Chief for kowtowing — into burying the Avro Arrow in exchange for "protection" by American ICBMs.

To use your words: Patent nonsense and/or revisionist history.

The Avro Arrow program was cancelled in February 1959, two years before JFK became President.

You're absolutely right! blush blush blush I may be conflating/confusing that with the Cuban missile crisis of 1962.
(My only possible excuse is that the whole political moose-mess south of the border really throws me for a loop and fratzes my neurons.

That particular blame can be laid properly on Ike's doorstep — Ike, of course, being coiner and doom-crier vis-à-vis "the military-industrial complex".
JFK and Dief had one of the more guarded "friendly" state relationships in modern history (ie, they despised each other).

EDIT — Here's a quote that might be a good choice for candidates in the current US fracas:
"I don't campaign. I just visit with the people."
— John G. Diefenbaker (during a 1965 campaign picnic)

EDIT — Interesting side note: there's an exhibit at the Diefenbaker Canada Centre (at the University of Saskatchewan) which has a 1960's telephone which when the receiver is lifted plays a 'cordial' call between Kennedy and Diefenbaker at the inauguration ceremony for the Canada-Alaska Microwave System in 1961.

By the bye, Cape Breton's latest advertising campaign to lure settlers from south of the border is getting extensive news media coverage lately. 'Tis a lovely place.

All that said, I think it's time for a long warm bath with maybe a little aroma therapy. smirk

Last edited by grelber; 03/03/16 04:14 PM. Reason: addition and correction