Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally Posted By: grelber
"Peaceful coexistence" is a convenient fiction which only exists because the "800-pound gorilla in the room" deems it acceptable for the moment.

200 years of neighbourly conduct and the longest undefended border in the world is neither fictional nor momentary.

Then you haven't been paying attention. Most recently (and for years) COOL (country of origin labeling), which cost the Canadian economy billions of dollars. It took years of fighting for the WTO tribunals to finally succeed in vindicating Canada (and still the USA tried to carry on regardless, giving in only when the prospect of economic sanctions/retaliation loomed large with the blessing of the WTO).

Originally Posted By: grelber
Just remember what happened with the Avro Arrow and national pride.

I have no idea what that means, relative to our relationship with the U.S. The demise of the Avro Arrow is directly attributable to the actions of a petulant Conservative Prime Minister.
And, national pride? I don't understand what that has to do with having the U.S. as a neighbour. I'm sure there are some who are not proud to be Canadian (for whatever reason) but I am more sure that the naysayers are vastly outnumbered by those who believe in Canada.

Patent nonsense and/or revisionist history.
JFK bullied Diefenbaker — and I've never forgiven The Chief for kowtowing — into burying the Avro Arrow in exchange for "protection" by American ICBMs. The Arrow was the most advanced jet fighter/interceptor of the day — and the Americans didn't like the competition at all. Think military-industrial complex. The written record is extremely clear on this.