Since Panther, I have been in the habit of waiting until the third system upgrade before taking the plunge into the next big thing. I loved Snow Leopard and resisted until the browsers became obsolete before upgrading. I have found Yosemite to be as dependable as Snow Leopard, only losing Adobe GoLive along the migration path.

Yesterday, I finally took the plunge and upgraded to El Capitan. The installer I downloaded months ago when 10.11.0 was introduced would no longer launch. Corrupted, it said, go to the App Store. A workaround was required to download the latest installer to a machine that, I was assured, already had the download.

The latest installer is 10.11.3, so no need for the combo updater. The installer did its thing and I opened and closed every application I could find. Adobe CS5 Illustrator crashed upon close. A quick search revealed many people complaining about Illustrator CS5/5.5 and 6 crashing. Specifically, if you used the eyedropper on a gradient. I created a gradient, sampled the gradient with the eyedropper and BANG.

Various solutions were offered: reset the preferences, reinstall the application, but nothing solved this specific issue.

So, pay monthly for Adobe Cloud or...

I cloned my system back to Yosemite. I'll experiment with 10.11.4, but my guess is I'll be staying with Yosemite until I am forced to buy a new computer.

I don't know if your experiences are different?

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.