Originally Posted By: tacit
Of course, there is a lot of front-loading on that statement. There idea that there must be more going on is promiscuous teleology; the idea that it's random is a misunderstanding of selective adaptation (the initial processes of the first and most primitive forms of life may have been random, but natural selection is an inherently nonrandom process).

You mutter such objects of equine delight that the mind's ability to sew slices of mordant ivory becomes tamed with visions of Tamils in Constantinople.

Originally Posted By: tacit
Does that count?

No... and I think you sense the difference.
From "I am creating artificial life, declares US gene pioneer":

Originally Posted By: guardian.co.uk
It is then transplanted into a living bacterial cell and in the final stage of the process it is expected to take control of the cell and in effect become a new life form.

A new life form perhaps... but it required an already existing life form to come into "being".
Sorry but... that just sounds like Dr. Frankenstein, working at a molecular level.
[edit: and perhaps a little H. P. Lovecraft for good measure. wink ]

--

Most of your post there is very clever indeed (intricately so), but less honest (imho) than purported. I might (again) turn your own arguments on themselves and accuse you of practicing a highly skilled (yet transparently cloaked) form of "promiscuous teleology". Of course you'll disagree... so, on that part we should simply agree that our *opinions* probably differ. [not much more to say about that... as we seem to have reached the point of diminishing returns.]

But then there's the remaining political/religious arguments (delivered in the form of sarcastic slurs)... which i have no idea why those are being directed in a reply to me. I am *not* in favor of "organized" religion(s) and/or persecution of non-believers, etc. Re-read my first post to see that we already agree about that aspect of this topic.

Faithfully yours, cool

-HI-

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 09/17/09 04:31 AM. Reason: added "Re-Animator" reference