Getting back on topic, I have a few more examples of trying to rely on technology as a solution to issues, problems, etc.

The first obvious one (and it is kind of connected to the others I will mention) is the inability of folks to handle a cash payment! It is truly incredible how some (maybe quite a few folks( get flustered when one pays cash for a product, service, etc. If one pays by credit/debit card, or even check, the clerk has no issues in handling that. But try paying with cash, and a number of them get lost!

The next two have to do with my experience as a part-time Mathematics instructor. I had been doing that on and off since 1970 at various colleges and universities. I have taught Mathematics course ranging from Elementary Algebra to Linear Algebra and Differential Equations. My most recent time was at a couple of community colleges from 2007 through 2011. During that most recent time frame, it certainly became evident that students absolutely rely on technology to assist with, and solve problems. And the "tool" such students just about bet their life on was a calculator.

This first one really shows this. In the spring of 2010, I was teaching an Elementary Algebra class, and I had office yours for students to come in. One of my students did come in, and was having difficulty solving a problem. So, I started going through it with her, and it got down to computing 32 - 17. So, I asked her what that is. She says, "Is it 22?". I said, "No". She then says "Is it 9?". I said, "No.". I then said, "What is the problem?". She says "I use my calculator to do something like that"! I was shocked (she did kind of make a face as it she was embarrassed). I thought to myself "And these are our future leaders?".

The other one was while I was teaching a Business Calculus class, and there was some discussion about the use of calculators (I did not allow the use of calculators on any exam I gave, and for most of the questions, a calculator was useless). I said to the class that one's brain is the best calculator one can have, as it never runs out of batteries (certainly a valid statement). I also said that what would you do if your calculator ran out of batteries, and you need to compute something. One of my students said "I would take out a piece of paper and a pencil". That actually was quite good, as at least one student was willing to apply what they had previously learned. But, I suspect she was in the minority.

The last one is so, so simple, yet baffling! I actually have run into folks who could not figure out (without a calculator) what a 10% sale means in terms of cost! I actually told an Asian woman I know about that (she was not born in the US, and her English is not perfect), and even she said that is something so simple. I could not agree more.

I am willing to bet there are so, so many examples of what I mentioned above, but the point is that relying on technology to resolve all one's issues is a false approach.

Last edited by honestone; 02/24/16 07:46 PM.