Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Originally Posted By: artie505
The availability of both utilities via d/l rather than snail mail as was once the case makes [my] position even more tenable: as long as [I've] got a bootable volume [I[ can get the latest version of either utility within minutes of [my] needing it. (Emphasis added))

The problem is that you may not be able to access those apps if your data are so damaged that normal operations are impossible.

Clarifying my point, Jon, I'm good to go as long as I've got an uncorrupted clone and my deuced Mac(hina) can boot. And if all my clones are corrupted, well...shame on me for having been dumb enough to have allowed it to happen, and if my Mac can't boot, well...the apps under discussion will all be worthless under any circumstances.

I've used the term paranoia-ware before, and I stand pat on it.

I once considered utilities such as TechTool Pro and DiskWarrior to be necessities...to have on hand, up to date and ready to do my bidding, but I now consider them to be no more than readily available resources to be upgraded only if it becomes necessary.

I'm not gonna try to convince anybody that "They just work" has come to 100% fruition, but I think I'm on pretty solid ground not treating OS X as if it's likely to not work.

And finally, like beauty, simplicity is in the eyes of the beholder.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire