Originally Posted By: artie505
But on the other hand, it would put them at risk of Hillary's winning and possibly carrying the Senate along with her, particularly with the possibility of Trump going indy and splitting their vote not out of the question. Wouldn't that be a kick in the head, not to mention the grand-daddy of all failed gambles?

I think Trump splitting the vote is a given. As much as they currently despise Trump, the only real chance they have is if he wins the nom, because otherwise he's got no problem with splitting the reps, which will almost certainly cost them the election. I think at this point his "nuclear" threat is simply "either nominate me, or I guarantee the dems will win the election, regardless of who you nominate."

This puts them in the unpalatable situation of needing to support someone they don't like, to have a chance at stopping someone they like even LESS.

Honestly I don't think Trump cares if he loses. He's a bit of a diva, he loves the spotlight and he's getting all the airtime he could ever want. It's possible his NOT getting the nom may end up providing even more attention than if he got it. He simply has nothing to lose, he's in a win, win, WIN situation. (really, we're the only ones that might lose!)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department