Originally Posted By: ryck
I believe there are a few historians who would disagree and point to LBJ as one of the most productive U.S. Presidents. And, granting that LBJ had twice as much time in office, he accomplished a lot more than JFK.

I was never a fan of LBJ, largely because of the LBJ Corporation's notoriously predatory business practices in Texas and I was a friend of John Tower the first Republican elected to a national office from Texas since reconstruction, so as much as I hate to say it, I have to agree with your assessment of his presidency. LBJ had a knowledge of Washington politics and a talent for political horse trading that was second to none. The Kennedy's got the adulation and glory, but it was LBJ who got the really tough legislation through congress. However in today's Washington it is doubtful he could get a congressional pay raise through congress.

I was present when Bob Schiefer announced his retirement from Face The Nation. During that very interesting evening he made a comment that gave everyone in the room a long pause for thought when he said, "Washington is broken and I don't know if it can be fixed." A sobering thought coming from one of the smartest and most thoughtful journalists alive today.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein