Originally Posted By: honestone
wonder about that "automatically" business. In El Capitan, it supposedly Repairs Permissions "automatically" (and thus why Apple left that feature out of the version of Disk Utility in El Capitan), but every time I use Onyx to do that, on both of my Macs, some stuff does need to be repaired. And, I need to run Onyx twice to complete the repair.

There is no unique executable code in OnyX. Like many other utilities, such as Cocktail, TinkerTool System, and Apple's Disk Utility, OnyX is a GUI front end for various Unix commands included in OS X's underlying Unix kernel. In fact the main reason for being very careful that the OnyX version corresponds to the OS X version is because those commands can and do change from OS X release to OS X release.

Permissions Repair, has long had the an issue with reporting errors that no matter how many times they are repaired would still be reported the next time permission repair is run. Apple's response to this has invariably been those "errors" were safe to ignore. Running permission repair has been deprecated by Apple and access to the applicable Unix command removed from Disk Utility perhaps at least in part in an effort to get away from the persistent queries about the reported non-errors. I suspect at some point the command will be removed altogether which will also remove the capability in OnyX, Cocktail, TinkerTool System and a host of other third party utilities.

Originally Posted By: El Capitan
About Spotlight Suggestions & Privacy

Spotlight Suggestions shows suggestions from the internet, iTunes, App Store, movie showtimes, locations nearby, and more in Spotlight and LookUp.

That may explain why your Spotlight search takes so long. Particularly if you have a slow internet connection.

Originally Posted By: keys
Only is verifying now structure of mac hd, but will it be able to do that with external drives?

If Disk Utility can verify the structure of an internal or external drive, so can OnyX because it uses exactly the same Unix command to verify the drive structure.

Spotlight file searches are dependent on an index that is stored in the HFS+ volume structure of the drive. As long as the external drives are formatted HFS+ (a.k.a. Mac OS Extended) Spotlight can build and maintain an index of that drive. Otherwise the only option is a painstaking word by word file by file search of the drive such at that used by EasyFind and Find Any File. Both of which are excellent as long as you aren't in a big hurry to find the file you want.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein