Originally Posted By: artie505
I wasn't aware that the Deltas were tailored prior to the App Store, so I stuck with the Combos, but in view of the tailoring and Apple's preference for the Deltas I'm going to use them from now on and keep the Combos as a troubleshooting reserve.

If, as you sound, you're an overstressed, strapped-for-time tech, I see the logic in you're scheme, but that doesn't jive with the time-consuming rigamarole you went through prior to upgrading, so I dunno.

Me, I've got plenty of time and nobody breathing down my back.

Quote:
Such an installation was thus not tailored to either of my Macs....

That gets us back to an unanswered question I posed when install discs gave way to App Store downloads, namely, is there still such a thing as a "retail", i.e. generic, version of OS X, or are the downloaded upgrades we get from the App Store tailored as are the Deltas?

My impression has been that they are, so I'll ask what types of Macs you used the same installer on?

And what has reformatting got to do with tailoring? (Edit:) If the App Store reads the specs of your machine, one would have nothing to do with the other.

First of all, I am not "an overstressed, strapped-for-time tech". You certainly sound like you are. I strive to keep my Macs "lean and clean", and that goes along with having them run smoothly. Using the Combo Updater is one unstressful way of doing that. You, on the other hand, are going ballistic (and thus stressed out) about the use of the Combo Updater.

Also, I have no idea whether the initial download and installation of OS 10.11.1 was tailored to both of my machines or not. I still use (and continue to use) the Combo Updater. I've always had success using it. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Finally, I have plenty of free time, and thus just want to enjoy life. Sounds like that is an issue (and maybe some others!) for you.