This is strange. I updated to Pages 5.6.1 a few months ago, and as far as I can remember, whenever I would close a document after making changes, I would get the usual "Do you want to save your changes" dialog. Now, I've noticed that Pages is saving my document whenever I close it without asking me. I thought maybe there is some preference option to autosave, but I can't find any. So, maybe I just have a bad memory and I'm confusing the new version of Pages with the old one. But either way, having worked with software for several decades where it always asks if you want to save, I find this to be yet another one of Apple's bad moves in making software less useable by removing options.

This created a problem for me recently. I opened a document that I'd been working on, deleted several sections and started to rewrite them. In the end, I decided that I didn't want to save the changes, and simply closed the document, expecting to get the save dialog, to which I would reply with "Don't Save". Nothing came up, and when I reopened the document, all the unwanted changes had been saved. So, I had to go to a backup in order to fix the mess.

The weird thing is that there doesn't appear to be any simple way in Pages to revert to the original document, if you don't want to save your changes. Some software has a Revert item in the file menu, but not Pages.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6