Originally Posted By: ryck
Additional information: I also sent a note to Dave Nanian at Shirt Pocket and he suggested:

1. Power off.
2. Disconnect the drive.
3. Hold down Option, get to the boot menu.
4. Then attach the drive. Does it appear?

The Super Duper drive did appear, but only once. On subsequent restarts with Option button down, it did not appear.

Dave beat me to the suggestion, but were your subsequent "restarts" cold boots as Dave suggested or did you click on "Restart" in the Apple menu? They are NOT the same! I went through a period with a beta version where I could only boot the Recovery drive using a cold boot.

Grasping at a straw: My mind keeps coming back to the fact that everything was okay until I did a directory rebuild with TechTool - and that it took so long. Could the rebuild have affected the SuperDuper software on my main drive? If so, could that generate a communication problem between the drive and the Mac?

Anything is possible but that is extremely unlikely. TechTool Pro goes through extensive beta testing before each release and that is a behavior I would expect to show up if it exists.

My system still does that automatically. The Backup drive is always orange with the Firewire symbol and the Time Machine drive is always green with the clock hands surrounded by the counterclockwise arrow.

You misunderstand what I meant. You are referring to the drive ICON I was referring to the DESKTOP [oicture — the image that appears on your screen behind all the icons, the dock, and below the menu bar. Right now my desktop picture on my regular boot drive is a photograph I took on the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Rail Road last October and the desktop picture on my clone is a picture of Agatha Heterodyne, Girl Genius.

Last edited by joemikeb; 12/23/15 10:50 PM. Reason: punctuation error

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein