Originally Posted By: grelber
I've been in touch with the municipal administrator who advises that the provider (a major player in the telephone/cable/satellite/Internet game — OK, if you must know, Shaw Communications), given that secure WiFi is an important part of their business plan, should be putting considerable effort into security. However, his contact there is away for a while, so closer info on this issue is at least a week away. I await the update with bated breath.

Following is the WiFi provider's "assurance" of security/privacy. From my perspective it reeks of "We're doing pretty much nothing about protecting those who use our service."

Shaw Go WiFi is a public WiFi network offered as a complimentary value-adding service to our Internet customers and municipal guests. It is more robust and offers greater, carrier grade, speeds than most public WiFi but, like them, is still an open network.

We do monitor the network 7x24 for activity that seems inconsistent with typical usage patterns. We do explain our usage polices found in our Terms and Conditions under Section 10. Privacy and Security. For added security, we do not enable P2P (peer to peer) traffic.

We also actively encourage our users to ensure their devices are configured securely and that they practice safe habits when accessing the Internet such as:
• Accessing the Internet using a VPN (virtual private network), which effectively creates a 'private tunnel' that encrypts all of their data as it passes through the network.
• Using https web sites for secure or sensitive data transmissions
• Using their devices' data encryption features to protect their personal data
• Using reputable anti-malware programs, which include regular anti-virus updates, monitor Internet activity, and advise of threats
• Switching off Bluetooth connectivity when it is not in active use

Any thoughts on the matter?