Originally Posted By: ryck
[quote=jchuzi]"While the nation suffered through the shock of another bloody massacre, on Thursday every Senate Republican except Mark Kirk of Illinois voted against legislation to prevent people on the F.B.I.’s consolidated terrorist watchlist from purchasing guns or explosives."

Unfortunately, that statement is woefully short on details. Look at legislation like the Patriot Act that was drafted and passed on a kneejerk reaction just like this one. The final analysis found it included no effective oversight and proved to be a very invasive, disliked, and difficult to get rid of piece of legislation.

Typically, congress moves too slowly. Sometimes they actually move at a good pace. And then from time to time, they rush things way too fast. They do it to make it look like they're on top of something that they don't know anything more than "my party rep said to vote YES on this". Vultures sometimes use this opportunity to slip in some ugly pork because "nobody's going to vote against this bill, and they don't want to waste time trimming off the pork in committee".

Passing bad legislation is just as much of a problem as not passing good legislation. Until I read the teardown on what they passed, I'll reserve judgement on this holdout. He may have had some very good reason(s) to object to it. Congress is known for this.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department