Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Of course, a year from now, the same will likely be true of the current GOP Presidential front runner.

Originally Posted By: grelber
A more likely scenario? Tromp [sic] will likely have gotten his wish and the space between the 49th parallel and the Rio Bravo will have become a no man's land...

Or...........

Trump may be gone long before then. I don't think he ever wanted to be President, and his position in the polls is an unwanted turn of events in his real plan....which was simply to get into the race long enough to enhance his "brand".

For a selfish egotist like Trump, being President just doesn't make sense.

Right now his wealth gives him all sorts of freedoms. He can board his private plane or one of his yachts and head out to one of his many palatial residences, or anywhere else, to do whatever he wants. In any of his business meetings he gets to say "We're doing it my way. If you don't like it, you're fired".

If Trump became President, all that would go away.

He would find (as he already knows) that there are all sorts of blocks to his being able to do whatever he wants when he wants, or simply to dictate his wishes. He would be faced with doing something he finds loathesome - seeking consensus and making political compromises. In order to make those changes in his usual modus operandi, Trump would have to be a person sincerely interested in someone other than himself. He is not.

Now that his plan (hang around long enough to enhance his "brand") has back-fired, Trump has to extricate himself. How better than to make more and more outrageous statements so that the party will be forced to turf him? It's perfect.

As he wipes his brow with a loud "whew!", he gets to say: "Well, I could have fixed everything but you didn't want me". And, he has provided all the funding for his "campaign" so he isn't beholden to any PAC or other contributors.

Mission accomplished: Trump's "brand" gains.

Last edited by ryck; 12/06/15 02:13 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C