Originally Posted By: MacManiac
I think if it were me seeking asylum in a "friendly English-speaking" culture, I might consider either New Zealand or Australia as alternatives with a much warmer climate.... I'm just sayin'....

A couple problems with either of those choices:

Australia's fauna (with the exception of mammals) are almost all venomous. Antivenins to counteract snake envenomization need to be specific; consequently, especially in the outback, you're probably doomed if you're bitten.

New Zealand — which is a wonderful place, even if you can't live in Hobbiton — is by and large free of all venomous creatures. However, the ozone hole over the whole country (ie, both islands) pretty much guarantees that over time you will become a walking melanoma or squamous cell carcinoma. Moreover, if you're over 56 and/or don't have a desired occupation or NZ$500,000 to invest in the country (and not just in your own home), you ain't getting a permanent resident visa.

But of the two places, go for NZ. Jeffrey Masson's SLIPPING INTO PARADISE : WHY I LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND (2004) is a gem of a book and a good start for tourists and potential expats.