I seem to remember when I bought my 15" mid-2010 that all I had to do in the store was hold down the D when starting up, without the install disk and it ran AHT. It was built in.

Yes, I did solve the airport problem for now by opening and closing the lid a few times because I know the card is in the hinge and yes, it must have a loose connection which became a problem when it was closed after shutting it down. I don't usually shut the lid because it is home all the time . It therefore is a loose connection but it is not under AppleCare, obviously because of its age, so it is not worth the repair unless it is a part that is easy to get to and something that I can do.

Edit: I read on a website that with Option-D I can boot into Apple and run AHT however when I tried to do it, I got a globe icon and then it had an exclamation mark over the globe icon with an error code. It's not urgent since opening and closing the lid solved the problem for now but was curious why neither of these options launched AHT. As I said, I can't get to the installation DVD so it can wait...

Last edited by slolerner; 11/16/15 02:26 PM. Reason: More

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air