If you decide to go the AirPort Express route you need to know this:

In OS X 10.7/Lion, Apple, with absolutely no heads-up...only a "SURPRISE!", discontinued support for "b/g" units and apparently, although they're still listed as supported, 1st generation "n" units such that they continue to function as expected but cannot be accessed by AirPort Utility to have their settings changed or for troubleshooting.

There's a patch out there that others claim works but that I could not get to work in Yosemite despite the fact that its dev says that it does.

Accordingly, and since
  • the kid is tech savvy and may decide to upgrade from Snowy to the Lion (it looks like) his Mac supports, and
  • it's probably likely that there'll be a newer Mac in his life someday,
I suggest that rather than buying an older unit on eBay you buy a Refurbished AirPort Express (2nd generation) (which comes with an original Apple warranty) directly from Apple. (The refurbished 1st generation "n" I bought 5 years ago has run flawlessly.)

Edit: Why would you need an AE without knowing the true state of the AP card and in view of the USB cable?

Edit 2: Hmmm... I just noticed
Quote:
Some ISPs are not currently compatible with AirPort Express.
on the page to which I linked.

I'd take it seriously and ask.

Last edited by artie505; 11/01/15 05:53 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire