Originally Posted By: artie505
Do you know if Time Machine is different from the Apple apps in Yosemite that I was able to trash only while logged in as root (Time Machine included, if I remember correctly), or has it actually got its hooks sunk into OS X like Safari?

The Time Machine app is little more than a GUI interface for the Unix command backupd which actually performs the backup and launchctl and launchd which initiate the backup. Deleting the Time Machine App would require deleting nix commands used in many places through out OS X.

Since the Time Machine backups work correctly when manually initiated and sometimes a few times after that I assume (I know, I know — any time you AssUMe there is a substantial risk of error) but I still assume backupd is working according to specs. The problem would appear to be associated with launchctl or launchd or something interfering with their operation although I am not finding any identifiable errors or problems in the log files.

I am beginning a Binary search process of removing third party apps etc. that run daemons or launch agents and execute on a time schedule to see if I can identify a problem caused by one of them. I haven't needed to do this in many years and I had forgotten what a long tedious process it is. I am going to be really mad (that emoji will have to suffice for expressing my emotions — the words I wanted to use are not suitable for a family audience) if I don't find a culprit at the end of the process.

I have considered erasing and reinstalling everything from scratch but that is too long and tedious a process to contemplate — for the moment.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney