OK...I got a SanDisk Extreme PRO for $200.

Part of the extra cost was software, e.g. TRIM support, that apparently is PC only, but I also got slightly better write speed, assorted other benefits, and a 10 year warranty that will probably repay some of my extra cost some day.

I realized beforehand that I was going to be limited to SATA II performance, but I was wondering whether there might somehow be even the slightest benefit from running a III in a II environment. (SATA II shows as 3GB...III as 6GB Link Speed in System Profiler (or whatever) > Serial-ATA.)

What I might have done was shopped for a SATA II SanDisk, but l just looked and didn't see any in the size I needed, so I didn't miss that boat.

This is my fourth Mac, each one having been faster than its predecessor, each one having had its RAM maxed out, and this one having been upgraded from a 5400 to a 7200RPM HDD, and the biggest speed increments I've experience 'til now were when my bus speed went from 133 to 1066 MHz (most noticeable) and when I upgraded my RPMs.

This SSD upgrade has really stunned me, though.

I feel like I've gotten a new, top of the line machine.

(Mods, I think this and the previous three posts would be best off either standing on their own or appended to Upgraded to an SSD...WOW!!!. Thanks.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire