I looked at those files again using the El Capitan Gold Master running on a Late 2012 Mac mini with 16GB RAM and observed none of the problems you experienced. I could scroll freely from the top to bottom and left to right margins and without a SPOD using Preview 8.1.

However — there is definitely something funky in the PDF construction of the file. When I opened it with PdfPenPro 7.3. PdfPenPro was slower than Preview 8.1 opening the file and I did get a couple of brief SPODs while scrolling around the document, but there is a second pane on the left side of the widow containing what appears to be a duplicate copy of the document. I cannot determine if it is a duplicate or not as it is displayed too small to read and I was unable to zoom in on it. Weird stuff! confused

I opened the document in Adobe Acrobat X and it started out with a black screen and then turned blank white. The scroll bars indicate it is scrolling up and down, but nothing the display remains blank white.

I do not believe the problem is with your iMac, Yosemite, Preview, or Adobe Reader rather it is something in the structure of the document itself. I would be tempted to speculate that it is a result of one of Adobe's proprietary PDF features that has not yet been released into open source but I downloaded Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and like the much older Acrobat Pro X it just came up with a blank window. Frankly at this point, I am amazed that Preview 8.1 can handle the document. Some Apple developer(s) deserve(s) kudos for that.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein