Originally Posted By: artie505
I just inherited an iPhone 4(not sure which model) running iOs 7.2.1, which, according to this Apple doc, is compatible with my AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Generation), but it can't find the network.
  • Your iPhone 4 is only compatible with the 2.4GHz band and cannot access networks on the 5GHz band. You will need to check your AE settings to be sure it is on the 2.4GHz band. A dual band AE should be on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands but there may be a different name for each band.
  • On the iPhone, go to Settings > WiFi (it may be Airport in iOS 7) and be sure…
    1. WiFi (Airport) is ON
    2. Ask to join networks is ON
    3. Does your WiFi network show up under under CHOOSE A NETWORK?
    4. Touch Other… and type in the exact name of your network, select the network security you are using (probably WPA or WPA2) and see if it shows up there.

Update: It looks like my problem is that I haven't got AirPort Utility installed, so I've got it d/l'ed in iTunes, but it won't install.

Airport Utility on the iPhone can be used to check and/or edit the configuration of your Apple network devices such as Airport Extreme, Airport Express, or Time Capsule. It has nothing whatsoever to do with connecting your iPhone to the network any more than Airport Utility on the Mac is necessary to connect to a WiFi network. If AU were required it would be a standard app and could not be deleted.

Update 2: I think I'm running into trouble because the iPhone is still authorized on my daughter's Mac.

That may cause problems if you attempt to purchase anything from the App Store, but an iOS device may be associated with one, two, or more Apple accounts without any difficulty other than different apps belonging to different Apple ids. That has nothing to do with network connectivity.
Update 3: I need an internet connection to restore; is there any way to get one without having AirPort Utility on the iPhone? (Do I need to d/l AU from my daughter's account to get it to install?)

You do not need AU nor do you need authorization from your daughter's account but I would recommend that once you get on the network you…
  1. On the iPhone navigate to Settings > App and iTunes Stores and touch on Apple ID:
  2. Touch View Apple ID
  3. IF the Apple ID is your daughter's, touch Remove This Device. You will probably need your daughters Apple ID password.

Like any Apple computer or device the iPhone should have been completely erased before you got it and then the account setup from scratch. If this was not done
  1. to be on the safe side connect the iPhone to power
  2. Go to Settings > General > Reset
  3. Touch Erase All Content and Settings
  4. When the iPhone Reboots you will have go through the full setup routine but you will have a clean iPhone and the associated Apple ID will be yer own and not your daughter's.
  5. CAUTION: Those instruction will work on iOS 8 and iOS 9 but with iOS 7 you may have to have a USB connection to iTunes on your Mac and reset the iPhone using iTunes.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/31/15 04:16 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein