Originally Posted By: JoBoy
I do not want to mess with Charter. I need to keep things as they are considering the large number of people who have one or more of my email addresses. It's sort of like passing out business cards and then changing the information. What's the use?

Cell phone numbers and landlines are now portable, that's nice to finally see.

Postal addresses, at least you can have your mail forwarded for awhile, and get some from the new residents for as long as they're tolerant of it I guess.

But about the only sure-fire way to keep your email under your belt forever is to own your own domain name and get your email through there. That way, you can change ISPs or even hosting providers, and pack up your domain name and move to somewhere else.

Most registrars are pretty reasonable with their prices to register a domain with them and do email-only hosting. You might want to look into it if you're going to have to change. There's no fixing the situation you're in, but you can prevent it from happening again in the future. Or go with someone not tied to your ISP, like gmail, though it's getting difficult to come up with a name that's not already taken. (that's less than 30 characters)

Y'know, if the US Postal Service wants to get their act together and get back to improving the value they provide to their customers, they really ought to look at modernizing how mail is addressed and delivered. Surely somewhere they have an enormous database of all the postal addresses in the USA. It can't be THAT difficult to start keying on name as well as address, and offer a more permanent forwarding system that doesn't rely on some guy in the mail room at your local depot to spot and re-address it. The reason you can only do it for a month or so is because they haven't done anything to automate the process and would be overwhelmed if they had to forward mail for many of their patrons for months or years.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department