Originally Posted By: joemikeb
….you will probably need to Reset the Airport Extreme by pressing and holding the reset button until the front light begins to flash rapidly. Then it will show in up Airport Utility as "another device" and you will have to completely reset it.

I don't understand.

Is this so I can make sure 5GHz is enabled, which might resolve the issue? I am the sort who, if given the option to have both 2.4 and 5 when first configuring, would have chosen both. I am a bit concerned about doing something that "might" be the issue if it could mean I lose what I have now.

Which brings me to….

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Then it will show in up Airport Utility as "another device" and you will have to completely reset it.

If the latest version of Airport Utility is disinclined to work with an older Airport Extreme, can I be certain that it will be configurable when it shows up as "another device"?

New Edit: We have now achieved success in getting the Dell connected. The list of available networks on the Dell included a "Hidden Network". Thinking about the way I am about security, I assumed that could be my network as I would likely have originally configured to it be less visible.

We entered the name of my network, which was accepted, and then entered the password…..and we got lift-off.

However, I still need to fix the problem of accessing configuration through the Airport Utility, so that I can adjust the wi-fi signal strength.

Last edited by ryck; 08/17/15 04:26 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C