Originally Posted By: ryck
I downloaded Utility V 6.3.1, which is supposed to be for OSX 10.7.5 or later, and I just get the spinning bars telling me that it's reading the setting on my base station. Then, after 5 or 6 minutes, it announces "An error occurred while reading the configuration."

When that happens, you will probably need to Reset the Airport Extreme by pressing and holding the reset button until the front light begins to flash rapidly. Then it will show in up Airport Utility as "another device" and you will have to completely reset it.

You probably need to consider a new Airport Extreme or Airport Express. If your WiFi networking needs are relatively simple the Airport Express will save you $100 and it will get the job done. Apple does offer their own and some third party wall mounts for the Express to get it up on the wall and that greatly extends the coverage. I have the cheapest mount and it works well. I mount it on the wall with 3M removable mounting tape and it has been there for a couple of years.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein