Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Rebuilding your mailboxes simply rebuilds the index to the messages that are currently in the mailbox. Any messages that might get lost are already lost. The deleted messages reappearing in your mailbox is a different issue. This could be a glitch in your account settings or a glitch in the account POP or IMAP server. First some questions to narrow the solution space:
  • is this happening in more than one email account? Yes. I have four email accounts, three in mail.com and one in Yahoo.

• Is/are the account(s) POP or IMAP? Imap.

• Assuming there is a online portal the the account(s) have you logged onto the portal to see if the messages are actually in the trash on the portal?
  • By portal, if you mean Yahoo and Mail.com, I logged in after you said that. Everything is still in their inboxes, too.

After emptying the trash have you checked the portal to see if the messages were actually deleted?

There is nothing in the trash in my Mac email nor in Yahoo or Mail.com. I delete it in Mac Mail and it looks like it goes away but it comes back when I go into my inbox again. Nothing ever goes into my trash lately. Weird.

Thanks for your help.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8