As a gift, I received a Mophie Juice Pack Helium (1500 mAh).

After reading the manual and affirming it was at full charge, I tested it. AFAIK, it worked as designed (sorta). Charging my iPhone occurred as expected. But what was a surprise, is how hot the Mophie got.

About 45 minutes in to the test, I noticed that the Mophie was very warm. (Lacking a thermalcouple or such, I term it as “uncomfortably warm”.) Ergo, I promptly quit the charging and shut down my phone. Even after removing the Mophie, the back of my phone was warm, very warm.

I checked for discoloration & bulging, but there was none. And all seems normal with no ill effects. But should there be latent battery or iOS issues, I no knot.

I called Mophie Tech Support and they advised that heat is a common by-product & residual effect of the charging process, but would gladly exchange my device (at no cost) for a new one. And so they did.

The new Mophie works the same, but as I was far more attentive, I did not allow it get as hot as before.

I would use the Mophie in an emergency, but until I can better monitor the temperature, I remain gun shy and the Mophie awaits regifting.

Wadda think? Is this thermal thingy typical of all juice packs? Am I being prudent or paranoid?

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire