I recently got a solution from Apple and solved my "less than one minute" hung issue. My machine got stuck at that position for many hours. Just posting here in case it helps others who experience the same problem and find this discussion chain.
1. Turn off the machine. Reboot it by holding down CMD+R. Hold the keys until OS option screen shows up.
2. Choose "Disk Utility
3. In the utility screen, if the Mac hard drive is there, click it. A new screen will show up on the right pane.
4. In that right pane screen, find and click "VERIFY DISK PERMISSION'. Let it run. You might see a few error messages show up in the history panel.
5. When 4 is done, click "REPAIR DISK PERMISSION'. Let it run.
6. When 5 is done, click 'VERIFY DISK'. Let it run.
7. When 6 is done, check the bottom message in the history panel. Should see a line of green words saying the disk is OK. Close all windows. The last window when closing will ask if you want to restart the computer. Restart it.
8. During boot up, it should go through the Apple screen, then the OSX "completing installation screen". Let it finish.
9. When 8 is done, the desktop screen will show up. If there is an error "Error Message: could not load iCloud preference pane", restart the computer to fix it.
10. The reloaded computer should have the new 10.10.4 and all should be normal.

Last edited by Nikon; 07/23/15 08:54 PM.