Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Removing items from a Time Machine backup is designed to be done only from within Time Machine, presumably for safety reasons.

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
One thing I don't know however is whether or not time machine is savvy enough to deal with files and folders that are renamed and/or moved. Theoretically, this doesn't have to interrupt the linking process. In practice however, it greatly complicates making backups, as time machine attempts to identify what was moved or renamed since the last backup, so it can get the linking correct.

And now we may have the cause (which would be me blush ). A few weeks back I watched a conference on-line and, rather than take notes, recorded the event, which was saved in iMovie. As it turned out, I didn't need the recording after all and deleted it from my hard drive.

However, it was recorded in Time Machine and caused TM to stop making backups (which were now too large) even though the original had been deleted. So I thought I'd remove the recording from Time Machine. I went to Time Machine>Backups.backupb>Dad's iMac and found a series of dated folders.

I "drag and drop" moved to Trash the folders that had dates which I thought would contain a backup of the original recording.

Last edited by ryck; 07/22/15 01:24 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C