Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I was hoping that you would notice that my TM backup, as referenced here, does not have a recovery partition. As you can see, I followed your instructions about diskutil list and got nowhere.

Time Machine doesn't have to have a recovery partition. I think that option was added in time machine 2.0, and gets installed/updated when you upgrade your os. (I don't believe it updates it when you run an os update, like from 10.9.3 to 10.9.4)

There is a command you can run that will install the recovery partition. I used it to reinstall recovery partitions on newly formatted replacement hard drives after restoring the customer's data partition. It requires the os install dmg be available and you have to run a command for a tool that's not typically available on the hard drive (but is present on recovery media)

WOW. that was a surprisingly difficult thing to find, even when I knew precisely what I was looking for. (I don't have the service drive with me right now)

http://hints.binaryage.com/recover-lost-recovery-hd-for-filevault/
http://www.dmitry-dulepov.com/2011/09/mac-recovery-partion-revisited.html

those are the "manual' way that doesn't rely on the tool for "insuring" the recovery partition. That tool handles the resize, the restore, and the partition type setting all on its own. I was unable to locate that right now, I'll see if I can remember to add it here later. I'd consider the tool much safer, as I don't like mucking with hard drive partitioning without being very sure of what I'm doing, there's potential there for catastrophic data loss if you screw up badly enough.

oh... nice... Apple must have gotten wind of it, and rolled it up themselves. "Built right into OS X, OS X Recovery lets you repair disks or reinstall OS X without the need for a physical disc."

Give OS X Recovery Disk Assistant a try. It supposedly downloads the restore data and installs it on a provided drive, including a time machine or flash drive.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department