Sorry to bring such an old thread back to the top, but I've been trying to replicate this "Mosaic in 10.8" process without much success. It probably has to do with getting the two required files from a clean installation of Lion.

I attained three sets of those two Library files and tried them all with 10.8: one directly off the Lion install disk image, one from a clean 10.7.0 installation, and one after updating to 10.7.5 (which also updates the two files to v4.1). On both 10.7 and 10.8 clean installations, I installed iPhoto 9.0 and updated to 9.4.3. No matter what I did, it always failed with the same results.

The problem is the Screensaver tab in System Preferences, although the old 4.x panel shows correctly in Mountain Lion from the provided instructions, there are only two screensavers there: "Computer Name" and "Flurry". Everything else is missing. No iPhoto or Desktop Pictures in the menu. If I try "Use Folder of Pictures" from the drop down, selecting a folder doesn't do anything. I've tried repairing permissions, restarting, but I get nothing. (In the adjacent Desktop tab, the folders and iPhoto options show up fine, but I don't know if that's using the Lion or the Mountain Lion version).

I've seen threads with similar issues in Lion 10.7 where only those 2 screensavers show up and nothing else, so it sounds like it's a Lion clean install issue. But all of their suggested fixes do not work for me. Granted I'm using VMWare Fusion for both 10.7 and 10.8 virtual installations to test this method. Not sure if it needs to be an actual physical machine. (I will be doing the actual deed on an iMac next week and want to verify this will work.)

I'm also wondering if the success of this is dependent on upgrading to 10.7 from a 10.6.x installation and THEN copying the necessary files to bring over the Mosaic screensaver to 10.8. I just feel like I've wasted an entire day trying to figure this out. Any ideas?