Originally Posted By: jaybass
artie, I have checked apps…utilities and there nothing there that doesn't belong and as I said, I ran the latest ClamXav (2.8.1) with no infected files. jaybass

ClamX AV, or any other anti-virus or anti-malware for that matter, is useless in this situation. The only viruses it can detect are those that have "signatures" it recognizes and the only "signatures" available to detect are for Windows malware that cannot infect your Mac. Be aware that some malware can lie dormant in your system for months until triggered by an outside signal, so just because there is no immediate indication of infection does not mean you are not infected.

Assuming you are using Time Machine consider booting from the recovery drive, erasing the hard drive, and then restoring from a Time Machine image taken at a point in time PRIOR TO the takeover incident. If you were infected that should get you back to a clean system. Clones that were mounted when the incident occurred could easily have been infected too and I would consider them suspect.

By-the-way your son gave you excellent advice.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein