Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: slolerner
And by Royal Proclamation, no more power bricks. If the transformer doesn't fit inside, don't sell it. At the very, very least, standardize the size hole in the device to the voltage of the brick. And do not reverse the polarity of the plug in part. Who looks at that little molded into the plastic +/- O and dot inside stuff. I didn't even know that existed and you have to check it? It's rocket science when you lose or mix up power cords!

Amen I say and again AMEN.

I think that may be why USB Mini gained a lot of traction somewhat recently, it was useful as a universal power source. Though USB in general (the computer end) is probably the most universal power PORT source. Just look at all the accessories that get power off the USB port on a computer nowadays, from fans, to phone chargers to little dogs humping your computer.

One other common one is the "12 volt dc, center positive, 1-2 amp capacity barrel connector" found on many accessories nowadays. While it's been around quite awhile, the explosion of external hard drives I think has been a big factor in its popularity. Unfortunately there's actually quite a variety in those barrels, and it's easy to run into a pack that has too large of an inner hole and fits the pin on the accessory very loosely.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department