Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I thought dyslexia was a failure of the brain to properly organize information it is trying to process? (like the classic example of swapping of characters or words when reading)

You are confusing the symptom with the cause. The swapping of characters is the result of receiving and processing data faster than it can be written down, together with an inability to focus and prioritize inputs and outputs. My dyslexic son was failing math because he would be solving problem two on the paper while still recording the answer to problem one. That was solved by teaching him to mask off all the other problems with his free hand until he had completed answering and recording the answer to the current problem. The same trick enabled him to spell, write, and read coherently. As with most dyslexic males that pretty well resolved itself around puberty. He went from being forced into the math for dummies class to top of his class in Navigation School for the U. S. Navy and later becoming an M.D.

Dyslexia is much less common in females than it is in males and female dyslexics never get over it. I know some dyslexic women who have done well in college, but had to have someone else read the textbooks to them and even had to hire transcriptionists to keyboard their college papers.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein