Don't count on Google Maps being any more accurate in remote areas than Apple Maps. At their heart both are dependent on data provided by a variety of government entities and based on surveys that all too often were inaccurate in the first place. When I was on the board of a water district we decided to GPS locate all the meters, valves, etc in our system using a top of the line hand held GPS. When we compared the actual GPS data to the surveys provided by the county we discovered the mapping point used as the basis for all the land surveys in the area was located nearly half a mile from where it was supposed to be so all the county maps using Latitude and Longitude coordinates were off by that half mile. Once we discovered and reported the area it took three years for the county to update its maps and for that information to trickle up to Google so their maps were correct. Since that discovery, every property sale in the area has had to have a new survey performed based on the actual location of the survey point. Errors in urban locations generate a lot more complaints and data and thereby corrected but not so much in rural areas and there is virtually zero feedback of location data in remote areas so the bad coordinate data remains unchanged.

By the same token, as V1 so lucidly points out, Google Maps are as dependent on data connections as Apple Maps for downloading map data and routing/rerouting information and are therefore equally likely to be less useful in remote areas. That is where a GPS unit with built in maps becomes essential. It is a really rare location where enough you will not be able to see enough satellites to get a position.

Where Google and Apple maps have it all over built in GPS maps is in urban areas where construction changes the roadways almost on a daily basis. For example here in Fort Worth there is a new toll road being built and the location of the entrance has changed four times since January. Apple Maps is seldom more that a few days behind the latest change. The GPS unit in my car and in my camper on the other hand are not even aware the new toll road exists much less where the entrance is this week. The location of the dirt/gravel road leading to one of my favorite camping locations in the mountains of northern New Mexico however has not changed in over 110 years but the road surface changes from year to year based primarily on winter weather conditions. It does show up on the Garmin in my camper as well as Google and Apple maps but the Garmin thinks the road is paved (it hasn't been in probably decades).

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein