Originally Posted By: jaybass
Since there seems to be a contradiction in the table, I hesitate to remove either one because of the possibility or trashing the wrong one and as I said before, it's working so perhaps better left alone

I can see why you want to leave well enough alone (and you can, see below), but your description of events doesn’t quite tally with what’s going on. For instance, I’m pretty sure that your impression that Safari only behaved properly with a particular web site after the PPAPI plugin was installed is erroneous. Why? Because Safari cannot use the PPAPI plugin. Opera and Chromium can, and if you use one of those and need Flash capability, you’ll have to install the PPAPI plugin. You can test this easily enough by loading the browser of choice and navigating to the Flash Player version checker site I linked to above. It’ll tell if you (1) have Flash installed for that browser and (2) which version. For instance, if you only installed the PPAPI plugin, Safari will tell you to install Flash, meaning the NPAPI plugin. Likewise, if you only installed the NPAPI plugin, Opera will tell you to install (PPAPI) Flash. If you use Flash in both Opera and Safari, you’d need both PPAPI and NPAPI plugins. There should be no problem having both of them installed at the same time (and hence no need to remove one or the other), and the Flash System Prefs panel allows you to monitor that.

As to the seeming contradiction between the version table and your experience: if the only browser you use on your bridge web site is Safari, you cannot say from a troubleshooting point of view that it requires the PPAPI plugin until you’ve removed all vestiges of Flash Player and reinstalled that particular plugin type from scratch. The best way to remove Flash is with Adobe’s official Flash Player Uninstaller, followed with installation of the Flash Player version/type to be tested. You do that with one plugin version/type at the time, and by testing it with all your browsers to see which one works and which one doesn’t. Given which version/type you installed first (and that’s default browser dependent; the installer serves both NPAPI and PPAPI types) you can predict the outcome of these tests. Obviously that’d be way beyond your immediate interest, which is simply to get things to work. But this may help in understanding what’s going on.

Next there is what you called a blocked plugin in post #34457. I suspect the issue was in fact a missing (or bad) plugin, regardless of which of the two Libraries you use to store Internet plugins. If there actually was a block, that suggests that you may be using one or more browser extensions to control plugins, perhaps specifically the Flash Player plugin. If true, you might want to disable extensions when the issue pops up again and see if that helps.

Finally there is version incompatibility: some web sites require a certain minimum version of the Flash plugin, and updating should take care of things. For security reasons you should always use the latest Flash plugin version. Browser-dependent plugin type differences only confuse the issue.

alternaut moderator