Thank you for that,
Yes, I installed this machine from a Time Machine back up when I bought it. That was fine. I had some problems with the machine, and went back to Apple with it for years, the whole time I have had it. The last time I was there a Genius Bar technician managed to wipe the entire hard drive and also corrupt half the back up data on my Time Machine. That cost me three cancelled airoplane tickets. About $300 USD and the loss of 7 years of journals. Nice for a writer and more than half my financial files. Sorry to include this. I am a little wary of a re-install if that's what you mean. I am attempting the Combo back up at present.
What is notable, I guess, is that I have to use Firefox to rescue Safari. Apple are slipping. In using Firefox, I have to say, it is surprisingly pleasant with many little gizmos Safari doesn't have and is quicker, uses far less memory and is far more stable and reliable. Onwards and upwards and thanks once again for you advice. and I am not sure if this is allowable, can I introduce another problem or should I start a new thread?