Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I have not examined the code, but from the way this is working, I would venture on OS X the name, etc. is stored as meta-data in the HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) file system. Given iOS and iCloud do not have an HFS+ file system per se there is no place to store the data on those platforms.

I would struggle to find a single Apple app nowadays that uses metadata for anything. Finder file flags (colors, locked, etc) are about all I can think of offhand. Metadata of that sort is stored in either EXIF or a format akin to it, as a metadata block at the start or usually the end of the file. EXIF is normally specifically for photos, and stores a myriad of metadata such as exposure settings and pixel density, but also other related metadata such as date/time, GPS location, camera model, etc. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format)

The same type of meta tags can be found in videos found in iTunes. (though the format may not be the same) They store dozens of tags, including information about the movie itself, as well as a lot of data about the purchase made on the app store. (such as the name of the account used to do the purchase) This data can be stripped completely out without impacting the video playback in any way. The same sort of tags exist on the music tracks. The contents of both can be edited to some extent within iTunes. Even album art is stored there within the music tracks.

Apple being Apple, I'd expect iPhoto uses exactly the same meta structures as iTunes, with a data structure tacked onto the end of the file. So it should make the trip across a foreign filesystem that lacks resource forks and extended meta fields in the directory.

xattr is used to edit filesystem-level metadata

AtomicParsley is most commonly used to change metadata on files from the ITMS. (it may work with iPhoto also, I haven't tried it) The -metaenima switch is useful to flush all metadata from a file.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department