The are three significant new features in TTP 8:
  1. Full Yosemite compatibility which is not guaranteed in older releases of TTP. The support of Fusion drives appears to be improved improved as well. NOTE: defragmenting files or volumes on Fusion drives is not recommended by pretty much everyone including Micromat.
  2. The inclusion of the ability to create a ProToGo boot device on a disk drive or thumb drive. ProToGo used to be a separate and rather expensive product that shipped on a Firewire thumb drive. In this iteration ProToGo assumes the user will provide their own external device and that the installation will be made using the OS X version on the Mac to be supported (back to the issue of having a version that will boot a given computer) There are three levels of OS X functionality that can be installed on the ProToGo device, so you can install other repair utilities other than TTP 8. It can be quite handy for making repairs on the regular boot drive.
  3. The addition of a fans test and a sensors test. While I am unlikely to use either prophylactically they might come in handy if you were having hardware issues.
Given the potential for harm that can be and has been done by incompatible volume repair utilities my choice would be to either upgrade to TTP 8 or uninstall TTP 7 or earlier.

Full Disclosure I am a beta tester for Micromat but I receive no financial remuneration other than a free upgrade to the version being tested and yes I have TTP 8 and I have tested it thoroughly.

Last edited by alternaut; 04/22/15 05:14 PM. Reason: Fixed markup

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein