Ok, here it goes:
A company using a web hosting service for their email addresses used the same domain name as their website. They wanted to use Google Mail because it was IMAP and could be picked up anywhere like aol, but mostly because it grouped conversations like Apple does now. So the mailboxes were imported many years ago.

I am now informed that the company no longer has to use their own web hosting service for their email and point it at a Google account, there is some simple way that Google hosts the mail directly and I can delete the user accounts on the current host. Right now on the current email host I get half of each conversation, which I keep, because when we first did this it seemed there was no way to back-up Google Mail, only the address book there. So, three questions here, can we lose our own mail servers but keep the URL, if we can, is there any downside to doing that and, I think I've asked this before, can Google Mail be backed up?

Next, the complaint is that although when they send emails the recipients get them right away, there is a long delay before they get their incoming. Don't know where the snag is. Client states sometimes she has to go in and manually do a 'check mail now.'

Client brought up the issue of eliminating our mail hosting and using Google which she believes now allows propriety URL addressing in the context of eliminating the problem of delayed receipt of emails. I'm not sure they are related. Note: There was a strange server full message some time ago that sounded like a prompt to buy more space from Google but it turned out that the web hosting mail servers were full.

Last edited by slolerner; 04/17/15 12:36 AM. Reason: Gratuitous Use of Commas