The link that Jon references above does seem to state that only the specific computer that created the boot disk can use that boot disk.

That would make DiskMaker X useable only as a "recovery-type" of disk. In the past I have used it to do installations on multiple computers, which is not possible any longer. Alas.

Along those lines, let me share an experience that may support the impressions that Apple is getting much more controlling (like they were not before?!).

I have used Apple computers since June of 1984, getting a new one every 2-4 years. In all those years each one has worked first time, every time, straight out of the box. My current 27" iMac from December of 2012 had a problem out of the box—fans running constantly at full power. Apple ended up replacing the entire computer. Less than 2 years later (thank you AppleCare) my Thunderbolt port went bad and Apple replaced the motherboard.

Flash forward to my installation of Yosemite early this year. Now FaceTime and Messages on the iMac don't work, and I regularly get error messages saying I am not logged in to iCloud, even though I am.

After two weeks of moving through the Apple Support hierarchy it turns out that when my motherboard was replaced its new serial number was not "burned" in (actually done with software in the Apple Store) and FaceTime and Messages check to verify a legitimate Apple computer before connecting. Who knew?!

So it is no surprise that each System is now specific to some extent to a particular computer.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.