Originally Posted By: alternaut
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Yosemite does take somewhat longer to boot…
That depends on the hardware used; my retina iMac boots as fasts as Jon’s, and it never had to boot anything pre-Yosemite. But for pre-Yosemite hardware the statement may be correct. smirk

I started to mention the fusion drive boost, but decided to let it go. I have a rather ancient Mac mini that was pretty doggy with Yosemite until I upgraded the HD to a 7,200 RPM 1 TB drive and it is now perfectly acceptable.

Originally Posted By: alternaut
This brings up the issue of new hardware to accompany a new OS version (or the other way around, if you prefer). As others have said, Yosemite doesn’t look ‘all that bad’ on a retina screen, AFAIAC to the contrary in fact. It seems that the most negative comments on Yo’s appearance come from users with non-retina screens, and I must admit that they do have a point. To some extent this may also apply to various other aspects of the OS.
In addition to fusion drives or SSDs to speed up things like booting, the same goes for CPU and GPU ’oomph’ and plenty of RAM with regular tasks (not that the drives are quiescent then). My currently top model iMac should respond well to my rather mundane demands. Let’s see how it’ll perform with Mac OS X 10.42 indeed! shocked

I can't comment on retina vs regular screen but my Mac mini has a quad core i7 and I almost never see one of them hitting 100%, much less all four and memory pressure remains low to moderate.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein