Just to be clear, I am not transferring any data from their old TM drive. That drive and it's contents are out of the picture. I am starting a new TM drive to go with the new imac they bought. Anything they might need would be on the drive of the imac they are now using. I want them to have a complete copy of the contents of that drive on a partition of the NEW TM drive so they can grab just the things they need off it on an as needed basis and otherwise start fresh. We are doing this rather than a Target Disk Mode to set up the new computer, because the old one has a lot of stuff that doesn't have to be there and is completely disorganized and also practically full. I considered putting their present drive in an enclosure or buying a small drive for this purpose. They want the internal drive on the old computer wiped and in that computer to give it to the kids. I can recommend they buy a small external for this purpose, but the desk there is small. I still need to know what is the best software to copy the contents of their present drive.

Last edited by slolerner; 03/13/15 04:30 PM.