That is WiFi channel 1 not TV channel 1. Whether or not channel 1 is good depends on what channel others around you are using. In the 4.2GHz band there is some overlap between channels which means it is easy for someone on an adjacent channel to interfere. ideally you would like to have at least 1 clear channel between you and any other WiFi channels in the area.

The only excuse I have for saying "Network Analyzer" before is I do not do well with Daylight Savings Time change. My preferred OS X app for WiFi analysis is actually WiFi Explorer and is available from the App Store. IMO it gives the most information and in an easily comprehendible display.

Whether or not you can switch to the 5 GHz band or not is a function of the router that is creating your network and the devices you are going to attach to your network. The 5GHz signal will not be quite as strong as the 2.4GHz signal but it has roughly 4 times the bandwidth. The 2.4GHz channels have a bandwidth of 20 HHz while the 5GHz band channels have a bandwidth of 80MHz. 5GHz is also a bit better punching through intervening walls, furniture, [i[etc[/i] enroute to your receiving device. In an electronically "noisy" environment 5GHz is probably preferable if all your devices support it, if not then its not.

If you want to get really techie then you have to consider the network mode b, g, n, ac but in most cases the router originating the WiFi network is the limiting factor so I am not going to go into that now.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein