Originally Posted By: kevs
So you don't think the extender actually increased the speed from the router/ modem in the other room? You agree with others wireless extenders are BS?

I don't believe network extenders are BS. I have one in my home that I use to boost the signal strength at the far end of our ranch style house nearly 70 feet and three to five walls away from the Time Capsule router that creates the WiFi network. An extender cannot increase the network speed per se. If you have an area where the WiFi signal is weak an extender can increase the signal strength and therefore make it less subject to interference from other environmental noise which in turn may reduce the error rate of data getting to that area and thereby increase the effective speed. There are several apps for OS X and iOS devices that measure WiFi signal strength, the signal to noise ratio, and detect nearby networks on the same and/or adjacent channels. I use Network Analyzer on OS X and Net Analyzer on iOS. The OS X application gives by far the best overall information. I would check that first. If your problem turns out to be a weak signal and/or interference changing the band from 2.4GHz to 5GHz or even changing the WiFi channel would be be first thing to try. What you are describing does not sound like a weak signal and/or interference problem, but it would not be the first, or last, time I have been wrong about something like that.

Originally Posted By: kevs
And so you have a point. The internet TV was unwatchable yesterday, until, 4 minutes later, when it was fine, nothing to do with Speed really, just clogged at that instant…as you point out.

That is what you have described sounds like to me.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein