Getting another, different ISP might help. The best AT&T can do for me is UVerse or DSL either is only 6 Mbps but Charter cable internet service is hitting my house with 40+ Mbps and that can at least help keep the buffers full and therefore a bit less subject to hangs and glitches. But that is not a guaranteed sure cure because the source of the problem may not be on your end. We still lose the entire internet occasionally. There might be other things you could do to reduce the incidence of problems, but I doubt you could afford them. Things like a dedicated T1 line to your house and a fixed IP address would guarantee your bandwidth availability (at a cost of several hundred dollars a month plus installation fee which can run well into 4 or 5 figures — my son's installation cost $25,000 USD, because they had to dig up a city street to run the cable), but still that cannot eliminate all the possible stalls, breakups, etc. that originate at the source end. To do that you would have to have a direct physical connection to the program source and even then their source connection could get hit.

I have satellite TV and even DirecTV's network connections are subject to the occasional breakup or hangs and we won't discuss the effect severe weather can have on the satellite uplink or downlink. Note that many (most?) of the internet program sources are dependent on satellite links for their content.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein