Originally Posted By: kevs

Two other questions:

1) I do speed test to verify,

https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

and it may say 5mbs and then next immediate try, a few seconds later say 10 mbs, and next try 18 mbs... I don't see any consistency with that.

2) Sometimes when I have the worst freeze up with websites, Video halts, I do a speed test, and sometimes it will say 1 mbs, which makes sense, but sometimes it will say 19 mbs which is the max! what is that all about?

——————

Joe, why do I want to do all this? Really, these speedtest do give some indication, you know, if it's 1 or 2 mbs you know things are bad. But, man, I want to know the speed right now, not an average. I do a test then I'm watching internet tv and it freezes to see if speed is the issue. That's the whole point. But maybe it does not matter being how wildly it change from one second to the next?…

All "this" was to some extent a due to an incomplete understanding of what you are asking. An internet speed test indicates the router at your ISP is working and the server for the speedtest is working and the relative speed of the links that your tests pass through from one to the other and that link can and will go by many alternate routes in the course of a single speed test. An internet freeze on the other hand is likely coming from an entirely different source and traveling via another complete set of links. The only commonality between the two is the path from your location to your ISP's router. That is sort of like checking the traffic on I45 between Dallas and Houston to see if there is a problem on I40 between Amarillo and Oklahoma City.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein